Choosing the right outdoor furniture for your space
The following post was written for us Matthew Andrianakos, the owner of outdoor furniture gurus, Lavita Furniture. Their range of outdoor furniture can frequently be found on the verandah, decks and outdoor areas of Sydney’s most illustrious restaurants, bars and homes. They’re great friends of ours and we personally recommend their range of affordable, stylish and easy-to-maintain outdoor dining and lounging furniture to friends, family and customers. Hopefully this guest post isn’t the last we hear from from them.
From the most spacious entertaining deck to the cosiest patio, Australians love their patch of outdoors, no matter what the size. We believe creating a relaxing and beautiful outdoor ambience is achievable for all spaces great and small.
Before you hit the shops, think about how you can use your outdoor entertainment area to its best advantage. A little planning will save you time and money when you head out into the retail wilderness to find furniture and accessories that’s right for you. With this piece of advice in mind, we’ve put together our top two tips to help you get a handle on things.
Being exposed to the elements means your outdoor furniture will have to be hardwearing to cope with the the Australian climate. Rain, hail and shine, Sydneysiders are familiar with all the extremes that Mother Nature can throw at us. Just as you’d take care choosing materials for your decking or awning, consider the construction of your furniture.
- Look for materials specifically designed for outdoor spaces. UV treated wickers and fabrics, low-maintenance polywood and rust-free metals like stainless steel and aluminium are all ticks in our book.
- Avoid furniture that hasn’t been climate-tested for Australia. We’re not called the sunburnt country for nothing and your furniture will need to stand up to the sun and the effects of its rays.
- Look for good warranty coverage. Your retailer should be confident in their products and give you the same confidence with a warranty that gives you peace of mind if anything goes wrong.
- Avoid too-good-to-be-true bargains – they often are just that. If it’s impossible to inspect before purchase, buyer beware.
Room for one (or more?)
Think about how you like to use your space: are you the consummate entertainer, someone who doesn’t feel at home without tongs in hand and a clutch of guests making merry on the deck, or does ‘solo sun-worshipper’ sum you up perfectly? Take a good look at what you want out of your space and plan accordingly.
- Look for the right size setting. There’s nothing harder than squeezing too many plates around a teensy table. On the other hand, a ten-seater table may be a little spacious for your solo morning cereal.
- Avoid gridlock. Think about how much space you’ll need around the furniture, not just the footprint of the furniture itself. Leave enough room for people to move freely around your furniture, without needing to clambering over or squeezing by it.
- Look for adaptable options. Choose stackable chairs to save you space or a modular lounge setting that gives you more out of your pieces.
- Avoid buying more than you need. You can always come back to extend a setting but coordinating returns can quickly turn into a headache.
And if all else fails, ask the experts! The team at Lavita Furniture boast in-depth product knowledge and can help you find the right fit for you and your outdoor entertainment areas. View our extensive range of outdoor furniture online or call 1300 528 482 to speak to one of our team members.
Liked this post? You may also enjoy reading “Plants, Patios and Decks: The 8 best plants for your outdoor entertainment areas“